Day 12! This was a quick one. I think I may need to give this one another look.
So i just got done watching the Rian Johnson film “Looper” and want to do a quick, reactionary blog.
- It was shot really well. I know, that is a really cliche thing to lead with (and it is even worse pointing it out afterwards), but i didn’t expect some of the visuals going in to watching the movie. There is a sense that action movie CGI looks a specific way – this doesn’t, for the most part.
- Bruce Willis’ unbeatable movie streak continues. Short of extraordinary measure it is impossible to kill Bruce Willis in a movie. There are points when you think he should be, or is about to be killed and then bam! He just pulled some Bruce Willis shit on yer ass (Now that’s great writing).
- Ambiguity is key. While the ending sort of addresses this – it actually directly does – there are so many contrasting elements to this flick it is hard to address who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist. Because they were able to disregard the causal nature of time, by making a time travel movie, there is ambiguity in the main characters’ actions.
- Piper Perabo is a good hooker. What happened Coyote Ugly? I know she was in the Cheaper by the Dozen movies, but where has her career been?
- It’s a great script. It’s hard not to be ingrained in this movie after figuring out what the fuck is going on. I mean there is Telekinesis Time travel, eye-drop narcotics and the movie doesn’t feel like a ridiculous Sci-Fi movie.
- The little kid creeped the be-jesus out of me in certain scenes. Rent it, you’ll appreciate it. Little kid creepiness adds cred to a movie.
- I have a new appreciation for Emily Blunt.