I like today’s prompt:
Tell us your tried and true techniques for focusing when that deadline looms and you need to get work done. In other words, how do you avoid wasted days and wasted nights?
Here are somethings I do:
- Turn headphones on:
Especially if I am listening to quotes or interviews. Sometimes you need to turn out the environmental noise and focus.
- Drink something with Caffeine in it – it allows me to concentrate.
- Get away from people (If I can).
- Break whatever is left into parts: stories or parts of pieces are easier to address if you segment it.
- Exit out of social media sites:
Sometimes just knowing they are still open is distracting.
Things I don’t do:
- Answer the phone (unless it is an editor).
- Watch TV – And this is subject to situation. I have it on a lot and it is just audible noise for me, but sometimes I catch myself looking up at it when I’m thinking of words. I think I lose time that way sometimes.
- Move around. When I’m on a hard deadline I do my best to stay still and focus on the words.
- Drink or eat anything heavy (Don’t want to get tired).
- Take my upload conditions lightly. One of my worst fears is working on an assignment, getting it done and not being able to upload.
Check out these people’s suggestions: